ClipCube on Dropbox

ClipCube on Dropbox

Postby hkbs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 am

I have downloaded ClipCube and have it showing on my status bar (Windows 7).

I would like to save all my ClipCube data on Dropbox. How can I do this, please?
hkbs

Re: ClipCube on Dropbox

Postby zod » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi!

At this time ClipCube stores the notes next to the program file, in ClipCube.notes.
The solution is to put all ClipCube files somewhere under your Dropbox folder, and run it from there. You will then need to re-set it to run at startup in Preferences.

It will soon be possible to set the data file location so the program itself can be anywhere.

-- zod
zod
Site Admin

Postby hkbs » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I have put everything in Dropbox but now I get the message every few minutes from Dropbox that ClipCube has been updated.
It also lists Conflicted files from my other computers.

How do I avoid this, please?
hkbs

Postby Maeldun » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 am

To anyone reading this - the simple way of avoiding this is to set up different clipcube installations for different machines.

I can understand why you would want a single list of clips for all of your machines, but this approach just leaves you vulnerable to conflicting file versions on the server - especially if you keep multiple machines open at the same time. If you keep multiple instances of the same program within Dropbox open works and conflicting versions are inevitable.

I use two versions of Clipcube within my Dropbox - one for my Work Laptop and one for Home Desktop - worst case scenario, if you really, really need a clip from one version while operating the other, you can close and then open the other instance or you can flip the ClipCube.notes file yourself.
Maeldun

Postby Maeldun » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:11 pm

What could use improvement however on ClipCube's part is the Dropbox syncing behavior.

I have 2 installations, and both seem to write continuously to the drive - apparently every 5 minutes. This floods the Dropbox events page with new clipcube.notes versions (you have to search through an absurd amount of useless update pages to actually find a useful event you need to revert) and it floods me with taskbar notifications whenever I leave both computers running - each computer reporting a new version of the clipcube.notes file updated on the other system.

Clipcube continuously writes to the hard drive (updating the note file) whether or not it actually needs to - most of the times, there are no new items to ad to the clip list. If I leave my work laptop overnight, I get ~150 update events, although nobody is using the computer (let alone copying anthing).

Seems inefficient and it's a quite a bit annoying. I see a couple of options:

- set Clipcube to write to the HDD only when adding new clips?
- cache the clips in RAM for a longer period of time? (less hard drive wirtes). Once a day, once an hour, etc. (User selectable period of time)
- a combination of the two?

Could you please consider this as a feature request?
Maeldun

Postby zod » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 am

Hi!

Sorry for not replying earlier, I missed this message.

The behaviour you are decribing was originally done this way for performance reasons, although not very ideal. In the upcoming version this is entirely avoided (a main reason for the rewrite), and the file is only written to when something changes.

Thank you for your suggestions!

-- zod
zod
Site Admin

Return to Help & discussion